Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fiber Weekend Away, Part 1: Webs

During the first weekend of November, I had the opportunity to go on a fiber road trip with some of my new spinning friends.  We all met through the Golden Fleece Spinner's Society spinning guild which is a great group of ladies to hang out with and learn from.  Of course I forgot to take pictures during the entire weekend but I did grab some later of my purchases.  It was an amazing 3 day weekend so I'm going to break this up into 3 posts.

On Friday we loaded up 2 separate cars and made the trip to Webs.  I was excited because it gets talked up so much as the mecca of yarn shops.  In preparation I took some time to go through my Ravelry queue for larger projects that would benefit from sweater quantities of yarn at a discounted price.  I wrote down the yarn requirements as well as ideas for some spinning fiber and tools just so I would have a list to refer to in case I got overwhelmed (it has happened before). 

We arrived at the shop and it's a completely unassuming building with easy parking.  While I was there, at least 3 people were working the registers, several people work filling web orders while others were walking around helping various customers.  The shop itself is spacious and it was wonderful to see all of the yarns in all of the colors in large quantities.  Webs has sections for books, magazines, tools, notions, buttons and pins.  I was disappointed that the bags weren't easy to find.  I had a couple specific bags that I wanted to check out and I couldn't find them even with the help of one of the employees.  The bags were used more for decoration on the tops of the shelves all throughout the store.  They were pretty but just hard to find.

Right off the bat, I found some Abstract Fiber in targhee which I haven't spun before.  I picked up 8 ounces total in shades of grey and black:

I just love these colors.  I'm very much in a black & grey color phase right now.  The targhee is very soft and I'm looking forward to spinning it.

Next up I wanted to shop from my list and get a cardigan or two of yarn at a good price.  I went out back to the warehouse and just took a look at what they had to offer.  It was mostly heavier weights of yarns and synthetics but you could get some good deals.  On a rack that you walk right by I found the Fyberspates display.  Man, that yarn is awesome and the colors were right up my alley.  I really want to make the Featherweight Cardigan so I snagged 3 skeins of Fyberspates Scrumptious Lace in a dark midnight blue:

I was able to get this for about $60 which is amazing to think of getting a cardigan for so little.  I'm loving this color but I'm not sure how it will look with jeans.  Maybe I'll just need to pick up some lighter colored jeans just for wearing this cardigan once it's knit up :)

I debated for a while on getting some Fyberspates Scrumptious 4-Ply Sport Superwash to make the Vitamin D cardigan because it was such a good deal.  I ended up not getting any because the color I wanted would have been grey.  Wearing grey is easy to do, knitting lots and lots of grey yarn would probably kill me with boredom.

I was pretty much done shopping and felt satisfied with my items but my friends were still going so I took some time to browse through the entire store again.  We had some fun in the warehouse looking through the crazy good deals and trying to figure out what we'd make with the yarn.  My one bargain was a skein of sock yarn that would be good for socks or for mittens if held double:

So maybe it's more of a black, grey and blue phase that I'm in? 

Overall I was very impressed with Webs.  I was treated very nicely during my entire visit and the staff was eager to help me with random questions.  The discounts are amazing and the selection is just not found anywhere else.  If I were to make another trip out that way I would definitely shop for sweater quantities of yarn again - the prices are too good to ignore for high quality yarn - but I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.  The almost 4 hour road trip was ok as long as it was combined with other stops, I'll share my next stop soon.



No comments: