Monday, August 27, 2007

Free Pattern - Braided Cable Alpaca Scarf

I noticed that many people are searching for this pattern when they get to my site so I contacted Sue at Adirondack Yarns in Lake Placid and got her approval to post the Braided Cable Alpaca Scarf pattern. Enjoy!


Braided Cable Alpaca Scarf

2 skeins of Catalina Baby Alpaca chunky (109 yards each, 3.5 sts & 4.5 rows = 1" on #10.5 needle, 100 grams or 3.5 ounces each)
US 10 needles
cable needle

Gauge: It's a scarf, let's be adventurous . . .

Pattern Notes:
C6F - Slip 3 sts onto cable needle & hold to the front, knit 3 sts, then knit the 3 sts from the cable needle
C6B - Slip 3 sts onto cable needle & hold to the back, knit 3 sts, then knit the 3 sts from the cable needle

Cast on 24 sts

Row 1: *C6F* repeat 4 times
Row 2: P
Row 3: K
Row 4: P
Row 5: K3, *C6B* repeat 3 times, K3
Row 6: P
Row 7: K
Row 8: P

Repeat these 8 rows until desired length is reached.

Here is a close up of the cables (please excuse my poor photography skills - it's actually red yarn and this further proves I'm a knitter, not a photographer)

7 comments:

Luciana DeVito said...

Niiiiiice! Can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

I've been searching for this pattern for days!! Thank you, I love it!!!

Unknown said...

This is a WONDERFUL pattern! I've searched for this pattern for months and I'm elated that you've posted one that is very clear and easy to follow. I cannot thank you enough! Happy Knitting! :-)

Everything Makes a Difference said...

I love the look of this pattern but have a question. Did you start cabling right from Cast on row? Or is there a knit or purl row first?

Thank you!

Unknown said...

I just started this pattern today and I am LOVING it! Great look, can't wait for it to be finished so I can wear it :) THANK YOU

sharecropper said...

I would like to try my hand at knitting these cables, but I am having trouble reading the pattern with white on red. When I try to copy the pattern to print it, I cannot get rid of the red background. Please help.
Margaret

MotherHenKnits said...

My suggestion would be to copy the text of the pattern and paste it into a Word document or to just Notepad and print from there. I just tested it and when you paste it the text is black with a white background.

Happy Holidays!