Monday, December 17, 2012

2013 Planning

I didn't have any big goals ready to go for next year so I had to sit down and brainstorm.  I came up with all projects and no techniques to learn.  I believe this means I have evolved from a process person to a project person.  I'm ok with that.  

Events - I'm really looking forward to all of the retreats and festivals next year.  Here's my short list of definite ones:

Roc Day, Ithaca, January 12, 2013
Vogue Knitting Live, NYC, January 18-20, 2013
CNY Fiber Frolic, Baldwinsville, April 13, 2013
Yarn Cupboard Retreat, Jamesville, April 19-21, 2013
CNY Fiber Festival, Bouckville, June 8-9, 2013
Finger Lakes Fiber Arts Festival, Hemlock, September 21-22, 2013
Knitter’s Review Retreat, Canandaigua, November 7-10, 2013

That's a great list but there are still several on the bubble that I'm still considering:

Stringtopia, April 2013
Squam (NH), June 2013?
Southern Adirondack Fiber Festival, Greenwich, October 5 & 6, 2013
NYS Sheep & Wool Festival, Rhinebeck, October 19-20, 2013
SOAR, 2013, St. Charles, Illinois, October 20-26, 2013
Northeast Handspinners Association Open House, New Hampshire, November 2, 2013
Stitches East, Hartford, CT, November 7-10, 2013

 Weaving - I finished up my first weaving project of the weekend and have my second one all warped and ready for weaving.  I'd like to finish up that second scarf and then make 8 place mats (2 separate warps for 4 place mats each).  I have the yarn already and just need to have this finished up before my mother-in-law comes back up north in the spring.  Should be fairly easy to do if I work a little each weekend on the loom.

Spinning - I finally have my groove back so these goals were very easy for me to come up with:

  1. Spin at least 1 project each month for the CNY spin-along challenges.
  2. Spin up the 2 different fibers (Jagger & Hello Yarn) that I received from the Knitter's Review Retreat stash lounge.
  3. Get started on the mystery/Finn blend of roving that I got back from Salt City Fiber Mill
  4. Get started on the corriedale fiber that I asked Dana at Unwind Yarn Company to dye up for me.
Those last two are large quantities of fibers so I don't expect to finish them but it would be nice to do some sampling and at least get started.  I'd like to figure out some projects once I get a skein or two done from each.

Knitting -  This was the hardest for me to come up with.  I know I definitely want to do these:

  1. Knit along with the Heroines shawl & accessories clubs.  Anne is doing a knit-along and a read-along in her Ravelry group.  If you finish a project within 3 months of the shipment & post pictures then you're entered to win a gift card.  I just love prizes.
  2. It took about 2 minutes for me to sign up for Clara Parkes' The Great White Bale project.  I have no idea what the yarn will be like or when it will be shipped so it's just crazy.  I would like to knit up the yarn when it arrives so that I can provide feedback and participate in the chat area she's got set up.  Other than that it's just one big unknown for me next year.
  3. I have 2 small lace projects (Levada & Swallowtail) that I promised my mother-in-law I'd knit up for her.  She purchased them and decided that lace isn't her thing.  I'd like to get these done by February when I see her again but April/May would work too if I get swamped.
After those top 3 items I am very scattered.  I will probably just pick projects based on time and complexity involved and how I'm feeling at the moment.  I have a few categories that I'll look at first (in no particular order):
  • Gift yarn projects.  I have been given gorgeous yarn and I'd like to finally get some on the needles.
  • Yarn Cupboard KALs.  These are just fun.
  • Stash lounge yarn.  If I haven't used it by the time the next retreat arrives it will go back to the stash lounge.
  • Color work hat kit for my son
  • Lace shawls for my female family members that specified what they would like (mainly kits)
  • Baby projects for my BFFs baby-to-be.  We should know the baby's sex by the end of this month!
While all that crafting is going on I need to find time to knit up charity mittens as well for the kids up north at NNCS.  My goal for 2013 is to get as many pairs as I can from the stash lounge yarn that I scored.

Oh - and I have a family and a full time job.  Piece of cake, right?  I'm fine with not accomplishing everything.  I just need goals in mind so I can easily pick the next project when it's time and not feel overwhelmed.  It's going to be a good year!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Dang, girl! I look forward to reading and seeing all your lovelies!