Friday, May 8, 2009

Stash Organization

The other night I had a dream about my acrylic yarn that I use for charity and I was trying to get Clara Parks to write reviews of the yarn available in big box stores, their pros can cons and the best uses for each.

Yes, I need to do something about the growing size of my acrylic yarn stash.

I ended up pulling all of my stored yarn out of bags and either putting it in my yarn cabinet or my drawers. I had yarn from my husbands grandmother that will be perfect for the HAP rectangles and I had yarn purchased a while back for a couple Project Linus blankets. I also had knitting bags all over my closet and office with no real organization.

I ended up cleaning out my entire office and it felt really good. I rearranged my furniture and completely cleaned out the closet with an emphasis on accessing the things I need easily. I've got a laundry basket of clothes to garage sale now and a good sense of the yarn I own. Needless to say I don't plan on making any purchases anytime soon :)



The first shelf is my nicest yarn including lace weights and festival purchases, second shelf is sock yarn and Project Linus blanket yarn, third shelf is charity yarn for Oddball blankets and the bottom shelf is my GAAA yarn and the yarn I have in my Ravelry trade/sell category for easy access.



My stash drawers include finished objects, tools and notions. I also have leftover balls of yarn for charity knitting, dishcloths and for teaching people how to knit when they ask. I feel much better about having everything organized and knowing exactly what I have. By no means is it excessive but by organizing a couple times a year I can keep it from getting out of control. I have some really nice stuff and can't wait to use it all. Now it's just a question of finding the time to knit . . .

No comments: