Monday, August 3, 2009

Finished Object - Dad's Tampa Bay Socks

I finished Dad's second sock while on a conference call on Friday (yes it's allowed because they track which screen I'm viewing so if I can't multi-task I knit, plus it helps me focus on what they're saying). It's hideous and not what I originally had in mind but he will wear them anyway and loves them just the same. Maybe that's why I love knitting for him. He's honest and still appreciates the hard work that it takes to create a finished item.


Pattern: Gridiron by Anne Hanson

I LOVE this pattern. It's very manly and functional, easy to understand and memorize and very well-written. I don't knit too many socks so I don't remember everything that goes into knitting socks. This is a great pattern and I plan to use it again, and again, and again! I also plan to purchase more of her patterns for men.

Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock, 2 hanks

The yarn felt wonderful and knit up like a dream. 80% superwash wool and 20% nylon make it a very durable, machine washable yarn. I only found 1 or 2 thin spots in each hank - nothing to complain about. I'll definitely go back to this brand again for socks.

Yarn Color: Team Spirit #19

I make a separate note here for the color. While I love the yarn, the color didn't work out like I had hoped. It was the closest that I could find to match the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and I didn't think the amount of white would make it look as "candy cane-ish" as it did. I take this as a learning point next time when shopping for colors.

Needles: US 1 metal DPNs

I had to purchase a multi-pack of metal DPNs at my local AC Moore for these socks and I really liked working with them. I even had a coupon, yay!

Time Frame: 6/22/09 to 7/31/09

This is mis-leading because I had several charity knitting projects come up AND I worked on my Cable Blanket for a weekend once because I originally wanted the socks to be a surprise. I bet if I was monogamous to them it would probably be closer to 3 weeks or so.


So with Dad officially in possession of his socks they know have a nickname "Dad's Lightning Bolt Christmas Socks". They fit him very nicely and he loves them. I couldn't be happier!

No comments: