Monday, August 10, 2009

Isn't It Lovely?

Last month I braved the ridiculous heat of Austin, Texas for a work trip. On my way there I met a lovely knitter in the airport and we had a very nice conversation. She recommended that I visit Hill Country Weavers shop while I was there. I'm so glad that I did.

That shop was actually the closest one to my hotel according to my research on Planet Purl's site. I researched all the shops right after I found out that I had to go. The store didn't look like much from the outside (plus I was just trying to concentrate on breathing - not quite used to that heat) but when I stepped in it was a treasure trove of goodies.

One of the ladies gave me a tour of the store after I told her I was brand new. That store just kept going. Every time I turned a corner there was another room, then another and another. I ended up planting my feet in the lace section and then wandering back over to the sock yarn. I must have walked back and forth several times before settling on my final purchase.


1460 yard of Prism Lace Wool in smoke. This colorway is so cool, so unique, I can't wait to find the perfect pattern for it. It's a combination of black, blue, purple and grey - I've never see anything like it. One big hank of yarn probably for a nice shawl or stole. The best part is that it would look great with a simple black dress or with something more colorful. I'm having fun just looking at my possibilities on Ravelry already.

Yes, I didn't need any more lace yarn but I braved the heat just to get to the shop and I'm proud of the reward that came home with me!

No comments: