Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Purpose Knitting

SPOILER ALERT: If you are pregnant with a baby-to-be named Jack please stop reading and let me know so I won't blog about your future present!

A friend of ours is due in September and it took me some time to find the perfect gift to make. I wanted to be inspired with a gift idea that was unique to this family and baby-to-be. I had the chance to go yarn shopping with my sister-in-law this past weekend so it was a great opportunity to spend time in the store feeling each yarn and considering each color option. Normally I have to rush since I'm on lunch break or I have people waiting for me in the car.

Thanks to Ravelry again for another great experience. I used the experimental queue search to view all the blankets that I had previously liked. I saw Yarn Harlot's pattern called Sam's Blanket and it was perfect! I was able to quickly see what other yarn's have been used by other Raveler's for this blanket and thought Lion Brand's Cotton Ease was a economical choice that would be available at the stores I planned to visit.

While I was shopping I thought the yarn was definitely soft enough for a baby and tough enough to be washed often. The color choices were more muted than what I originally wanted but the Lake color was a good fit. It's not a baby blue and it's not a deep navy - I think it will work well.


Reading the other knitters notes about the project let me have a good understanding that this project will take awhile due to the number of stitches (176-181), the weight of the yarn and final length of the blanket. That helped me decide to make this my main project to work on every night. After 3 nights of knitting I've been able to knit 10 rows of garter and 7 rows in the pattern. It takes a long time to complete a row but I like the pattern so it's not that big of a pain right now. Plus the yarn is really nice to work with. I would definitely recommend this yarn to other knitters. It's very soft in your hands but has the durability of cotton.

Now I just need to figure out the math to see if I can get it done in time for Jack's arrival . . .

No comments: