Friday, May 11, 2007

Environmentalist?

I was updating my profile the other day and giggled when I saw that I call myself an environmentalist. Yes I have changed all of the light bulbs in my house, I replaced my roof and got all new windows within the past year. I write to my representatives urging them to pass new legislation that will help us get a hold of our CO2 emissions. I love driving through the Maple Ridge Wind Farm and feeling like it's progress that will help the next generation. I'm currently planning to add insulation to our attic this summer and trying to determine a budget for adding solar panels to our house. I can't figure out which ones are best for us, powering electricity or heating and cooling our house? I'd actually like both! I recently read an acticle about all of the chargers and appliances that use energy even when we're not using them. I need to do some more research on that one since my husband and I are techies and have electronics plugged into every room.

My husband thinks that might be pushing it a bit put I think it's a small price to pay for doing our part. I could never be able to look my son in the eyes 20 years from now and have him ask why we didn't do more. I've seen that look on my parents face when I said "How could you be so stupid to smoke for so long?" They say they didn't know the risks at the time but even when people started getting sick they kept up their puffing. We know the what's happening to the climate now and I don't want to be the one that's slow to change.

So - on to why I giggled. It's been getting pretty warm during the day lately but still chilly at night. I have turned off the furnace and just opened the windows during the day. At night I close up the house and turn on the furnace so we're not freezing at 3 AM. The other night I did this and I woke up just sweating and way too hot to sleep. I checked on the baby and he was fine so I figured it was just me. That next morning when I went downstairs it was pretty brisk in the kitchen. I went to my back patio door and it was open. I had left the door open all night while the furnace was just chugging away to heat the house. Yup, that's me the absent minded environmentalist heating the outdoors.

At least I'm still trying to save the world right?

1 comment:

Lanea said...

Welcome to the KR Webring