Thursday, May 10, 2007

Year of the Stash!

I can't remember if I mentioned this before but I have pledged to knit from my stash this year and not purchase yarn. Knitters everywhere are calling this "Year of the Stash" and "Stash Buster 2007" or some variation of that. I'm calling it "I have so much beautiful yarn that I want to actually use it" aka "I'm broke and can't justify spending more money on yarn".

This may sound harsh to some but I look at it as a challenge. I'm scouring the Internet for the perfect patterns to try my lace weight yarn on that I haven't had much luck with. I'm searching for projects to use the sport weight Wool-Ease yarn that I got for next to nothing. I'm researching charity groups that need items that I have the yarn to make. I've got motivation to work on that Great American Aran Afghan that I bought all of the yarn for. See what I mean? It's an exciting challenge.

I've also gotten into the habit of saving all of my left-over yarn and I'm thinking about trying to make it all into a couple blankets to donate. I saw a post on Yarn Harlot's blog awhile back about this lady that wanted to get left over sock yarn from people to make a left over blanket. Boy I wish I could find that post! She asked people to completely bury this lady in left over sock yarn and I think she included a pattern in the post. The interesting part was that she knit it as additions to all one piece - not as squares that would need to be sewn together. Someday I'll find that and get started.

My official last purchase of yarn was Labor Day weekend in 2006. To tell the truth, I could probably go for 2 years without buying yarn if I wanted to - and I knit every night for at least a couple hours. I'm thinking of myself as creative and resourceful for doing this instead of cheap and . . . well, cheap. :)

No comments: