Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Buttons, Buttons & More Buttons

Last week I broke down and finally got rid of a bunch of stuff from our garage sale. Probably half donated, half trashed with a few items still listed on Craigs List. One amazing find was the stash of brand new buttons that my grandmother-in-law left behind (she's not dead - we just bought her house). She was an awesome seamstress. She made most of her clothes plus clothes for her 2 daughters and 6 grandchildren as they were growing up. I learned from my mother-in-law that she could not resist buying a beautiful set of buttons, even if she had no project in mind for them. She would buy the buttons first and then plan an outfit around the buttons. Very cool.

Anyway, I found many boxes and jars filled with these buttons. I consolidated them down into one grocery bag for easy storage.


Inside this bag is a gallon zip lock bag of all the loose buttons. I have no clue what to do with these but they are so cool to look at.


Maybe a fun kids project someday where they glue the buttons onto something? No clue but I'm keeping them. Now here's the best part - there's buttons that are actually cool looking and I can imagine them in a knitting project somewhere.


I've only used a button once for a baby cardigan but I think I have a good idea as to how these could be used in adult cardigans. I keep sorting through the bag and finding more and more that I could use in future projects. I find myself designing projects around the buttons, my grandmother-in-law would be so proud.


The colors on this one inspire me to make something with rose and brandy colors! All I can think of is cardigans - what else can I knit up and use my beautiful button stash?

No comments: