Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Charity Knitting

I've been knitting for about 6 years now. My friends and family are overloaded with wonderful hand knit gifts and now I'm turning to charity projects. I like to knit every day and sometimes I just want to try a pattern without having a purpose in mind for the finished project. This is where the charity part comes in. A long, long time ago I knit up two manly scarves, Irish Hiking and Brioche, just for fun. Here they are after pulling them out of storage:


I can't remember what yarn I used for the Irish Hiking but I did use hand spun Irish wool for the Brioche. It was wonderful to work with. Just recently I hear of a need for scarves for our soldiers currently living at a base in Germany. Details are here. These scarves are perfect for the job! I'm heading out to the UPS store on my lunch break to send them out.

The braided cable scarf is definitely going to the Red Scarf Initiative when it gets closer to September 1st. I'm signed up to participate in several charity afghans on the Knitting Help forums. It may sound like a lot but I'm really just enjoying knitting and if people can benefit from the things I make then it just makes me feel even better.

There are a ton of groups out there for knitted baby items but I haven't gotten into that yet. Maybe it's because I can never keep any baby yarn in my stash for too long! Now that my yarn diet is over I may just have to start stocking up again!

No comments: