Monday, November 5, 2007

Book Review: Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair

This must be the longest title for a book I've ever read. The full title is:

Crazy Aunt Purl's Drunk, Divorced, and Covered in Cat Hair: The True-Life Misadventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split

It's very wordy, kind of like the author. I first stumbled across Laurie's blog a couple years ago and I've been a constant reader ever since. She's just hilarious. I love the words that she makes up and it's so much fun to read about her adventures as a transplanted Southerner living in LA. I had tears streaming down my face when she posted the news of her oldest cat, Roy's passing. I can still recite the story of how he got his name by heart. I even made my husband read it.

When the announcement came out that her book was was almost ready to hit the stores I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. We have very little in common:

She's divorced with no children, I'm happily married with a son
She's from the South, I'm from the North East
She lives in LA, I lived in Chicago and now in Central NY
She has an obsession with new shoes, I wear the same pair every day until they're worn out
She has a long commute & works in an office, I work out of my home
She runs into massive traffic issues, I might run into a delay due to a tractor in the road

Very different perspectives on life. But I must say that I can relate to her. Her fear of being social and going to social events is spot on. I can't say that I'm afraid but it is much easier to stay home, much more comfortable. Even though when I do go out with friends I have a great time and always say that I should do that more often. It's very comfortable to stay home and not venture out, especially now with a toddler at home. You just never know when a meltdown is right around the corner and it's just easier to deal with that in your own space.

OK - back to the book. It's a very quick read with several patterns in the back for ANY level knitter. I would have liked a few recipes to be included too but maybe her next book will be more cooking related. I read my copy cover to cover while delayed at the airport. I had to keep myself from laughing out loud many times. My giggles got many strange looks. Her decent after the divorce is touching and very real. Her discovery of herself and network of friends is even more inspiring. Maybe "empowerment" is the best way to describe her path. Her identity was rolled up into a neat little package and when the wrapper came off, all of her issues came spilling out. It was an honest story, sad and comical just like real life.

I decided to post a book review today because it's a great book to read by all knitters but even better for those of us that just need to move out of our comfort zones and live a little. It's priced well and thoroughly empowering and entertaining at the same time.

No comments: