Monday, November 19, 2007

Candles

My husband and I took this week off from work but we still put the big guy in daycare so that we could get a few things done around the house before heading up north for the holiday. Today I decided to get out all of the boxes of candles that were left here by his Grandma when we bought the house. I already had a nice size of supplies for making candles but that didn't compare to the mass quantities that she had stored away. I have been like a kid in a candy store all morning. Here's the stash:


Keep in mind that only one of those boxes is mine. I had the luck to find a moving sale a couple years ago at a Michael's and they would rather sell everything at 70-90% off then pay movers. Oh yeah, the knitting supplies were gone before I got there but I bought every taper candle and candle supply they had. Two baskets full for about $20. It was the sale of a lifetime.

Anyway, here's my molds set out waiting for wicks to be screwed in:


I didn't have a set type or scent of candle in mind so I quickly looked through the stash and found a small box of bayberry votive candels in a dark green. They all went into one double boiler. Then I found some that were off white and yellow without a scent so I added a little blue coloring to it along with cinnamon scent to make it festive. No clue how they'll turn out but that's the fun part. Here's the blue-ish one cooling:


And another of the dark green bayberry candles still very hot and completely liquid:


To set everything off I had the iPod going to keep me motivated. First it was Eminem because the beats on his albums are great for waking you up. Then a little Van Halen's Balance album to rock it out. Currently I'm listening to Meatloaf Bat Out of Hell I and singing at the top of my lungs. To say that I have an eclectic taste in music is an understatement!

Stay tuned for candle results tomorrow . . .

No comments: